Where can I buy my lunch in Mons?

The most cost-effective solution is to buy your meals or sandwiches at one of the university’s restaurants.

  • About €3.75 for a hot meal at Plaine de Nimy, or Cité Houzeau.
  • About €2.80 for a sandwich at Plaine de Nimy, Cité Houzeau or Waroqué.

Where can I shop for groceries?

You can buy everything you need in stores such as Delhaize, Carrefour, Lidl, Aldi, Colruyt, etc.

What about transportation?

To get around Mons and the rest of Wallonia, you can take the bus (TEC). If you are under 24 years old, you can get the 17 € bus pass and have access to TEC buses in Wallonia for a whole year.

If you want to visit Belgian cities, you can take the train for 7,50 € (only for under 26-year-olds), or buy a Go Pass (10 trips for 59 € if under 26 years old.)

Don’t forget that our ESN team organizes trips to show you some of our prettiest cities!

I need an ambulance or the police, firefighter, etc. for an emergency!

Call 112, you will quickly be connected with an agent that will assess your needs. If you call for a medical emergency in 90% of the cases, they will send an ambulance, which will cost you less than €80 (it is a fixed fee). Notice that you’ll have to provide your current position to the agent.

I need to contact the police for a non-urgent motive.

Call 101, you will be put on hold until you get an agent.

I feel bad, I need to talk to someone.

Feeling alone and sad can happen to anyone, especially when you’re in an environment you’re not familiar with and don’t have people to help and listen to you.

Note that you can always reach out to an ESN member if you have questions or concerns.

If you need to talk to someone, you can contact UPSY, UMONS’ accompaniment service. You can find more information about UPSY on the intranet. They do offer psychological consultations in English (more info: vincentlapunzina@gmail.com or +32 483 40 22 80)

You can also contact the Community Help Service (CHS), it is an anonymous and confidential support helpline. The CHS therapists do speak English. CHS 24/7 Helpline: +32 2 648 40 14.

Someone is harassing me or one of my buddy at UMONS

It is a serious matter, you can contact a student volunteer via +32 471 677 960 or via respect@umons.ac.be. Do not hesitate to contact one of the ESN Mons Committee members, we won’t let you down! Furthermore, don’t hesitate to contact the police (we can also help you for this step).

What is the weather like?

Often cool and wet, therefore be prepared and bring a jacket. You may encounter some snow during the winter or even during the spring, however, it does not last long.

I want to know what’s happening in and around Mons!

You can check what’s happening in the city on Mons’ website: mons.be.

I just got in Mons and I need to know how to survive here!

Check our pinned post on Instagram “Are you new here?” and get some tips to help you survive your Erasmus!